10 Tips to know to be a Successful Engineer
1. Choose meaningful problems: Strive to solve challenges that you are passionate about and for which success will make the world a better place. This is often the entrepreneurial spark: A yearning to fix something we perceive to be broken.
3. Work hard: “Genius,” Thomas Edison once said, “is two percent inspiration, ninety-eight percent perspiration.” No doubt school requires a lot of sweat, but the ratio gets worse in the working world.
5. Be optimistic:If you aspire to lead people or an industry, undying contagious optimism is an essential asset. Cultivate it.
6. Be realistic:You have to stay focused on the long-term vision while remaining grounded in what you have to fix right now.
7. Be contrarian: Keep in mind that the industry will continue to change rapidly, and the ‘experts’ will keep getting it wrong. As of 20 years ago, Google hadn’t generated a single dollar in advertising revenue.Apple was close to dying, and Facebook hadn’t been born.
8. Trust your instincts: You are going to have to make decisions from incomplete information, such as deciding what job to take.
9. It’s a marathon, not a sprint:Make sure you make time for family, friends and hobbies. When you find yourself feeling burned out, find a way to rejuvenate.
10. Have fun!: If you’re consistently not enjoying yourself, then you need to make a change. Given the long hours, work is so much better when you can find pleasure in it.